Laser Electro-Optics Technology (LEOT) or “Photonics” is one of the most important new technologies of the twenty-first century. Photonics involves the practical application of light, optics, and electronics and has unlimited applications in today’s high-tech world. Lasers, fiber optics, CD/DVDs, holograms, bar-code scanners, LCD TVs, satellite imagery, environmental sensing, infrared imaging, nanotechnology, LASIK, laser surgery, photodynamic cancer therapy, and homeland security are just a few examples of the many applications of photonics technology. In the same way that electronics changed our lives in the 20th century, photonics will play a critical role in enabling manufacturing, medical, sensing, telecommunications, homeland security, and defense technologies in the 21st century. More photonics technicians are needed to ensure that the US maintains its global leadership in this rapidly growing field.
STCC’s LEOT program is designed to provide students with a solid working knowledge in a broad range of photonics areas including laser systems, electronics, optics, electro-optics, and fiber optics. Classroom lectures are supplemented with extensive hands-on laboratory experiences and real-world problem solving activities designed to develop and enhance students’ problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
Graduates of this program work in a wide variety of companies, both locally and nationally, involved in making lasers, integrating lasers into other products & systems, conducting research and development on next-generation laser-based applications, or who use lasers and laser-based systems in their manufacturing processes and other precision applications. Industries include fiber optics and telecommunications, manufacturing, medical, defense, homeland security, alternative energy, aerospace, research and more.
Educational background: Applicants are advised that competency in algebra, trigonometry, and physics is important. Applicants without this background may take the prerequisite courses at STCC although this may lengthen the time needed to complete the degree program.
Graduates are often encouraged to pursue a bachelor’s degree upon completion of their associate’s degree. Students wishing to further their education in an engineering field should notify their STCC academic advisor early in their course of study so that arrangements can be made to facilitate the transfer process.
Laser Electro-Optics Technology is one of the four degree programs in the Electronics Systems Group. The other degree programs are Computer Systems Engineering Tech - CSET.AS , Electronic Systems Engineering Technology - ESET.AS , and Telecommunications Technology - TCOM.AAS . Additional information on the department can be found at Computer Systems Engineering Tech - CSET.AS
Students are encouraged to contact members of the department for course selection and career advising.
Minimum Grade Requirement: Students in Laser Electro-Optics Technology must receive a grade of “D” or better. A QPA of 2.0 must be achieved for graduation.
Programmatic Technical Standard (PDF)
Upon the successful completion of the requirements for this program, the degree of Associate in Science in Laser Electro-Optics Technology will be awarded.
Laser Electro Optics Technology
Program Objective: To prepare graduates with the necessary skills to apply, install, manage, operate, and/or maintain laser, fiber optic, optical and electro-optic systems used in medical, entertainment, communication, industrial and manufacturing environments.
- demonstrate competence in the understanding and the application of laser systems used as an instrument and as part of a larger engineering system in areas including production, testing, maintenance, research and development.
- demonstrate competence in the understanding and the application of electronic, electro-optic and optic-optic systems and the sensors and controls used in these systems.
- demonstrate competence in the understanding and the application of optical systems including the nature of light, geometrical and physical optics used in these systems.
- demonstrate competence-in the understanding and the application of fiber optics systems including the manufacturing of fiber, fiber characteristics, and terminations and connecting of fibers, test and measurement of fiber optic systems.
- demonstrate competence in the understanding and the application of laser safety and electronic safety including laser safety industrial standards and OSHA guidelines.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- conduct research from a variety of sources. These include the internet, technical specifications and schematics, and related sources.
ELSOC - General Social Science Elective 3 credits
Any course from the Social Science Department that can be used to fulfill a program’s Social Science elective requirement. Please see your advisor for the proper course.
Total (LEOT.AS) Curriculum Program Credits: 69-70