The Dental Assistant curriculum encompasses the multi-disciplinary team concept. Theoretical skills are attained in conjunction with supervised off-campus clinical affiliation experiences. The curriculum conforms to the standards which are required by the Commission on Accreditation of Dental and Dental Auxiliary Educational Programs. Upon successful completion of the program, the student graduates with a Certificate in Dental Assistant and is eligible to take the Dental Assistant National Board Examination.
The program in dental assisting is fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation and by the United States Department of Education.
The Dental Assistant program has two primary objectives: to prepare the student for employment as a professional member of the dental team, functioning as a competent dental assistant after graduation; and to prepare and motivate the student to continue his/her dental education toward a degree. Advanced degrees will enable the qualified student to participate in broader areas of the dental profession.
Dental assisting students must purchase a kit which is non-refundable and is comprised of essential materials and supplies. In addition, other expenses will be required as the academic year progresses. Information about additional costs associated with the Program are found under *Additional Student Costs
Clinical affiliation is conducted off-campus at various dental offices throughout Western Massachusetts. The student is responsible for providing transportation to and from each clinical and educational facility. The student is expected to be in full dress uniform during this portion of the curriculum. Students who are accepted in the Program need to have current Health Care Provider (CPR and AED) and Heartsaver First Aid Certification by the first day of class
Bloodborne Pathogen Policy: Dental Assisting Students provide services in the oral cavity where they come in contact with blood and saliva. Although diseases may be encountered, research indicates risks are negligible when optimal infection control is practiced.
The Dental Assisting program will produce graduates who are qualified to perform basic skills and roles within dentistry such as:
- Chairside Assisting
- Infection Control
- Dental Practice Management
- Administrative Assisting
- Dental Radiology
- Extended Functions Assisting
General Education Goals:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Develop capabilities for critical thinking;
- Develop a realistic view of the dynamic interplay of people and their structured integration into a coordinated environment.
- Enhance self understanding and, thereby, enhance sensitivity toward others;
- Understand the organization and plan of the body;
- Understand basic chemistry;
- Understand microbiology and human disease.
*Additional Student Costs:
- Dental Assisting Kit: $600.00 - $800.00
- Textbooks for Summer, Fall and Spring Semesters: $1,300.00 - $1,500.00
- STCC Uniforms: $150.00 - $200.00
- White Leather Uniform Shoes: $100.00 - $150.00
- Name Badge: $10.00 - $15.00
- Maroon Lab Coats: $50.00 - $100.00
- STCC Identification Uniform Patch: $5.00 - $10.00
- Certification Examination: $175.00 - $200.00 per Examination
- Campus Parking: Cost varies with parking area
- Lock for locker $5.00 - $10.00
- Notebooks, three-ring binders (one for each lecture course), pens, pencils, colored pencils, paper, stapler, paper punch, clear plastic ruler, toothpaste, toothbrush, dental floss/tape, small standing mirror, permanent black marker, graph and tracing paper. $75.00 - $125.00
- Required Immunizations
- Personal vehicle or reliable means of transportation to/from clinical affiliation sites
- **Please note that these estimated costs are subject to change.
The minimum grade requirement for the Dental Assistant Program is a grade of “C” (2.0) in each course.
Upon the successful completion of requirements for this program, a Certificate in Dental Assistant will be awarded.